http://www.onementhcs.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/logo.png 0 0 HCS Admin http://www.onementhcs.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/logo.png HCS Admin2016-09-29 07:48:272016-09-29 07:49:49Easy peasy risotto
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil, plus a drizzle
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 200g risotto rice
- 1l hot chicken or vegetable stock
- 300g frozen peas
- 25g Italian-style hard cheese (pecorino, Parmesan or vegetarian alternative), grated
- juice and zest 1 lemon
- 2 slices leftover bread (a few days old is best)
- 2 frozen red chillies (deseeded if you don’t like it too hot), see tip, below left
- small bunch mint, chopped
- Heat the oil in a large pan. Add the onion and cook for 5 mins, then add the garlic. Stir in the rice for 1-2 mins, then add the stock, a little at a time, stirring continuously until the rice is nearly cooked and the stock has all been absorbed – this will take about 20 mins. Meanwhile, tip the peas into a colander and run under the hot water tap until defrosted. Drain well, tip into a bowl and roughly mash with a potato masher.
- Remove the risotto from the heat, stir in the peas, cheese and a squeeze of lemon juice, then season well.
- Grate the bread on a box grater into chunky crumbs. On the finer side of the grater, grate the chilli. Heat a drizzle of oil in a frying pan, add the chilli, lemon zest and crumbs and cook for 2 mins until crispy, then add the mint and sprinkle over the risotto before serving.